Monday, July 12, 2010

Thing #18

I have been using Youtube videos to supplement teaching in my class for a couple of years. I like to find video footage of events so that the students have a visual to go along with the lecture. I used a clip from the movie Far and Away with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman to show what a land rush was when we were learning about the Homestead Act. It was fantastic because it really allowed the students to visualize what a land rush was and they remembered the Homestead Act easier. When reviewing for the TAKS test, they brought that clip up several times.

Youtube contains videos to supplement just about anything you are teaching. Or just really cool videos that show the students a variety of things they many not have ever seen before. There is a great video of a Rube Goldberg machine that I have shared with students before. They may not have known what a Rube Goldberg machine was before but they did after watching the video. And they loved it!!

I plan to continue to use Youtube and Teachertube to supplement my teaching. I love having access to videos that allow the students to experience an historical event. It is better when students can have visual and audio of something to make them better understand and remember it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you've already been using youtube. I think short videos can add so much to a lesson, but some teachers are scared to use youtube.

    ReplyDelete